Cotoneaster transplant and renewal

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by janetdoyle, Oct 31, 2007.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Last year in winter-early spring I got rid of a very large potted cotoneaster of the type that does spread-out sideways although I have no idea of its type, taking up space in a patio in a newly purchased townhouse; shrub had sturdy wood stem and thick lower branches, about 2 ft high and nice berries though, so put into ground in nearby wooded area. Now, I have decided I would like to re-use the shrub in a front garden, so have re-transplanted it to an area there. I have noticed the berries have disappeared although the rest of it looks healthy enough if not particularly lush. Where it is now it should get more sun, dappled sun... just wondering if there is anything I can do to promote flower/berry production in spring: any particular fertilizer to produce bloom? The soil is rich where it went in, neither dry nor waterlogged, and it is near an irrigation spray head. It provides a nice foil to a nearby weigela and forsythia. However, I have noted that cotoneaster does not enjoy transplanting. Large root ball from its potted career seems still extant, and was partially above-ground in the wooded area; I lifted the whole thing right into the new hole. Should have planted it straight from the pot last spring but didn't appreciate it at the time. Will it survive, do you think?

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Actually, fall is the best time to fertilize hardy plants - for multiple reasons. However, this specimen is probably not in urgent need of being fertilized - many cotoneasters are basically scrubland shrubs by nature. Over 60 species have been noted popping up on their own in various locations in Seattle. Some are prevalent enough to be beginning to appear as pest species. Apparently our soils, climate and birds suit them just fine. Yours is not likely to require coddling.

4. janetdoyle

Thanks to both of you, Ron B and Newt, I have noted your posts and replies before... always wise and on the conservative, wait-and-see side. OK, I will just leave it alone and see what happens. Gardening out here on the West Coast is such a fascinating experience, as winter, although a slowing-down time, seems so short and to my East-sensitized eyes it seems as though things are always happening in winter anyway, here... I have had one or two rhodo blooms in the last month, and the primroses here and there are blooming... what "on earth" is one to think, about how to care for plants, what to expect? Life was simple on the East Coast, when things were, anyway, cold in winter, chilly in spring and warm/hot in summer, then mellow and warmish in fall, cold and bitter again in winter...

5. Newt

Janet, I do know what you mean about the seasons here in the east. I just spent a week in New Hampshire and Maine observing the fall tree colors. But, I've spent part of our fall and winter seasons in South America when it's spring and summer there and it's amazing what grows and grows and .... It almost seemed strange to see my houseplants growing in the Amazon Jungle.

Newt

6. janetdoyle

To Newt: I have had that experience in rainforest Panama, seeing the houseplants in the wayside jungle! And the Impatiens growing like weeds everywhere along the roadsides... scattering their multicolored cheerfulness everywhere, and growing taller than they do up north...

7. Newt

Janet, isn't Mother Nature wonderful?

Newt