Corncumber

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

This is what one gets if a corn and cuccumber plant are crossed. It is sort of redundant, since most people peel the cuccumber.

URL to Corncumber

Durgan

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very clever!

(Of course, corn and cucumber can't actually hybridize...)

3. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Daniel, that was exactly my thought -- can't cross out of species. Maybe someone went and experimented with some of that there gene splicing voodoo??? Or too much gene altering chemical stuff? You all never know what kind of magic them there back woods experimetors are messin with!

But I did find it a interesting pic

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it's safe to say that no genes were spliced in this cuke's creation - but I'll let Durgan reveal the secret if he chooses.

5. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

My son found these heavy split plastic supports with a sort of rivet securing system shaped like a cob of corn inside. The device is placed over a small cuccumber and after a few days the cuccumber takes the shape of the cob of corn. The longer it is left the deeper the impression.

Picture of the corncumber mold

The most astonishing thing about this is the trememdous pressure exerted by the growing cuccumber on the walls of the container. I thought I would bypass the 19 securing pins holding the two parts together and use strong plastic ties instead. The ties rated at possibly 60 lbs or higher apiece were snapped as the pressure of growing pressure built on the wall of the container. The pressure must be high, possibly in the hundreds of lbs per square inch. Just an observation.
    Durgan..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Lee Valley tools sells shapes for moulding veggies, they have the corn on the cob, plus a few silly faces and others. It works with a few different veggies.
    Kids love it.
    Carol Ja