Corn Plant- flowering?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Diana1023, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Diana1023

Diana1023 Member

Hi, I'm looking for information on what I believe to be a corn plant. I have owned this plant for many years, and recently moved it to a sunnier location in my home. It started to grow a stalk with what appeared to be buds. Then a few nights ago the buds opened up, and filled the entire room with a very sweet strong smell. The flowers close up during the day, and then open again at night. This has happened for three nights so far.
    Wondering if anyone has any information on this plant, and what we can expect. I did not know this type of plant produced flowers, especially with such a wonderful aroma.
    Thank you for any information or advice you can offer on its care.
    I'm attaching two photos that I just took, with the blossoms open. The stalk with the flowers was growing upright, but got too heavy and bent sideways.
    - Diana

Attached Files:

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Unfortunately my Dracaena (corn) plant died after it bloomed... I hope yours survives...

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Diana,
    Yes this Drac does bloom. (not too sure about others) I saw some at the Boeing field airport in So Seattle several years ago. They were over 6 ft tall, planted several to each large tub, several tubs all flowering happily. They had been there for several years. Your's looks pretty happy and is getting the right amount of light to bloom. Well done!
    barb

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

You have a Dracaena fragrans, aka Corn plant. They only flower when they are very happy and well taken care of, so whatever you are doing, keep it up.

5. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Cut off the blooms and anything associated with them. It's just taking energy from the plant.

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I leave mine on cause I like the aroma, biggest plant is probably nearly 2 stories high, so no ill effects by leaving it on there

Ed

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they only bloom indoors when they're pretty old AND when they're well-cared for, so you're doing something right, congrats!!

i'd leave the blooms and stems on until the flowers fade. then you can remove them.

8. James D.

James D. Active Member

Leave the flowers, they have a nice scent and don't look that bad,they do take some energy from the plant, but so do all flowering plants.