corkscrew hazelnut

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by westgatea, Nov 22, 2003.

1. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

I have a small (very!) corkscrew hazelnut - I planted a healthy plant 3 years ago - while it has grown some and looks OK, it is still no more than 3ft high and 2 ft wide - it just doesn't seem to grow! It is on top of a low rock garden, next to a pieris and a hydrangea, both of which are thriving. Some wind exposure, ground cover of kinikinick and some ivy...... how can I get it to GROW?!

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Corylus avellana, our native hazel, is a slow growing shrub that in time will reach heights of between 10' to 12'. It is growing if its alive, but perhaps not in the direction you would hope. Check, at the base, of the plant to see how much energy the plant is putting into producing suckers. If you are letting these suckers grow then the plant is growing in width and density. Most of the suckers should be cut annually to the ground leaving only the ones you want to contribute to the main framework. This pruning can be done anytime now that the plant is dormant. A fertilizer containg both nitrogen and phosphates, bonemeal, may help to encourage growth in the Spring. Rock phosphate can also be used to supply phosphates in even higher amounts, applied at 4 oz/sq. yd. It is very slow acting and especially good for acid soils. As long as the roots of the hazel aren't restricted your plant should grow.
    It is not uncommon for some plants to take a couple of years to begin to grow after transplanting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2003