Corkscrew hazelnut not budding

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I have a corkscrew hazelnut. This year I noticed that it was late budding. We got about 5 buds and leafs and then nothing. Alot of suckers but it did not bud. Last fall it seemed fine, lots of leaves and lots of nuts, but this year I'm afraid it's dead. What can I do? HELP!!! It's a large tree about 8-9ft tall and wide, guessing about 10 years old. I love this tree.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Corylus avellana: At times it may be necessary to prune selected branches and old growth completely, that is back to the ground. This is best done in late winter. The plant can be renewed by this method and the suckering habit of the plant will provide plenty of new growth. Select the main branches you need and cut those you don't want. Each year the annual suckers at the base of the plant must be removed completely. I presume that you've been doing this, however if you haven't then you have a very conjested plant. Both male and female flowers are on the same tree, therefore it is best to have several different clones growing in close proximity to increase cross pollination.