Cordyline (sorry if I posted in the wrong section)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by dollygirl, Jul 2, 2007.

1. dollygirl

dollygirl Member

I am desperately trying to find out what to do with a Australis Cordyline. It is about 12 feet tall now and has just flowered. My neighbor has told me they die once they have flowered.

Is this true? Do I need to remove the flower or just dig it up and start again?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No, it's not true. What kills them back where I live is periodic cold winters. In suitable climates it grows into a pretty substantial tree, flowering year after year along the way.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

These branch out after flowering and form multiple crowns, and as Ron B states, no it won't die after flowering.

Cheers, LPN.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mine has several stems and crowns. When we first came to house 24 yrs ago the main stem had died. Eventually it fell. Did not do anything as I thought that was the end . Low and behold typical to a lot of Aussi plants off it went again. There are 2 up the road on a farm that have been there for about 50 years. Substantial trunk and many crowns. Flower annualy.

Liz

5. dollygirl

dollygirl Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. They have been really helpful. I live in the North Of England. The winters here are not really that harsh but the last couple of weeks have been terrible. Total downpours and wind (It is July!!) so much for summer.
    I will leave it be and hope it picks up a bit. Thanks again