Cordyline--new to this plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by andreamd, May 22, 2009.

1. andreamd

andreamd Member

I purchased two Cordylines last fall, and had them in pots inside. They did well, fairly good growth, etc. I moved them outside now [in a sunny spot] and all the leaves turned a pale yellow-white. Is it too cold for them? Would they prefer shade? Have I lost them?

I've never had Cordylines before, so I'm not sure how to proceed with them.

Thanks!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

when you move plants in/out or out/in, you need to do so in a manner that eases the plant into the new situation.

when going from in to out, you need to take into consideration air temp as well as light levels. even if you have it right in front of a window and it gets sun all day long, outside the sun is much stronger (the windows filter some of the rays a bit), so, you need to put the plant in a partly shaded spot for a bit and then ease it into full-sun conditions (otherwise you may end up with burns or bleaching on the leaves).

you would do the reverse procedure when bringing a plant inside for the winter.

i usually transfer plants in/out when the temp is the same inside and outside - during the period of time when neither heater nor a/c is on - and has been for a couple of weeks. doing it during that time frame pretty much avoids any shock due to extreme temp differences.

3. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

What color are they?
    They do prefer shade, or filtered light, but will adapt to FULL SUN conditions... It'll just slowly drop all it's foliage and start over, with the newer foliage being SUN HARDY... :) Good Luck with it, I've got many...
    Post a pic of the color if you can...
    aka TI plant.

~LCA.

4. andreamd

andreamd Member

They are the deep green with red/pink edges. I had them inside [shady, obviously, filtered light] and they were great, now outside, in both shade and more sun, not doing well at all. Dropped all leaves. Just two sticks for the trunks. Should I cut the trunks back for new growth?

5. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

hmm. My guess is that their in a container? If so, move them somewhere where their under something... The filtered light will be much easier for them to deal with vs the FULL SUN action... I use TI plants for understory decor under palm trees... Kinda like a 'filler' plant... There are so many different colors...

~LCA.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Red margins does sound like there could be some confusion here between the almost hardy Cordyline australis and the tropical C. fruticosa (C. terminalis). However, there are C. australis forms with colored leaves as well. Since C. australis freezes down periodically in this region, often to grow away again from the root crown it seems it's possible your defoliated specimens may sprout and grow back. Knock one out and look at the roots.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you can upload load a photo, it may make diagnosis easier.

Cheers, LPN.