Complex Palm Tree Problem

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by PalmTreeFanatic, Aug 17, 2016.

1. PalmTreeFanatic

PalmTreeFanatic New Member

Hey guys, I've had this palm tree indoors for the past 6 months now. When I first got it, the leaves were a gorgeous bright green and the tree trunk was mostly green. A week later, I had a serious fly infestation. Larvae was growing in the soil and after exhausting all possible solutions, I used a plant safe pesticide that stopped the problem. Then started a totally different problem.

The stems and leaves started drying up and turning brown. I had to cut them all off leaving the only green stem of the bunch. I'd water the plant only when the top 5-10cm of the soil was completely dry. I'd water it with about 50-100 ml of water.

When I first got it, the hole at the bottom of the pot was closed up. Humidity is at a minimal indoors and there is no natural sunshine that can reach the tree. Instead, I have an energy saving 50W spotlight aimed at it for 12 hours of the day. I've also attempted using a plant nutrient pellet (10 cm in length) to revitalise it but quickly took it out after reading that it could actually kill the tree.

It's been 5 months since cutting off the stems and the tree finally appears to be sprouting out new stems. Sadly though, the stems /leaves are turning white/brown and I'm at a loss to the reason why. If anyone has experience working with palm trees indoors, I would so appreciate your wisdom. Thanks a ton :)

Attached Files: