Cold spring

Discussion in 'Maples' started by patdero1, Apr 8, 2016.

1. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

In 1995 it was worst , 3° in the afternoon ! And in 1950 Normandie was under snow ...

En 1950 Les 25, 26 et 27 avril : de l'air très froid concernent toutes les régions du Nord et de l'Est - des chutes de neige se produisent jusqu'en plaine, notamment au Havre et à Dijon - cet épisode exceptionnellement froid est immédiatement suivi par une chaleur également surprenante - le 2 mai, la température atteint par exemple 28° à Paris.
    Document of time attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Je ne me souviens pas les temps en printemps 1995, mais c'est sur j'avais moins d'érables dans le jardin! Les hivers sont en générales plus doux, donc les feuillages plus précoces, depuis une décennie. L'été '95 par contre, il a fait bien chaud: les grèves Juppe! Tout bloqué pendant 18 jours... j'ai laissé la voiture en plein Porte Dauphine après avoir rester immobile pendant 45 minutes, moteur éteint! :)

trans

I don't remember the spring weather in 1995 but I certainly had less maples in the garden! Winters are generally warmer, and so leaf out earlier, for the last 10 years. Summer '95, on the other hand, was really hot: Juppe's strikes! Everything stopped for 18 days. I left my car in the middle of Port Dauphine in Paris after sitting for 45 minutes with the engine off.

-E

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Light frost yesterday and this morning. Nothing to worry about, really. The cold wind can be worse for mine since most of my trees are potted.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

We had everything yesterday apart from fog. Started off a lovely sunny morning then just kept changing every hour or so a very strange day indeed re the weather. Rained during the evening then the cold weather started to ice over the rain droplets on everything ,so glad i moved all the leafed out trees and covered others because they would all have been damaged otherwise ,inspected all the other trees this morning and all looks well think this weather is here until the weekend though. Oh well !!

5. ROEBUK

Well they got this forecast right ,was supposed to go out today but couldn't be bothered clearing the SNOW!! from the front of the garage doors , it's getting past been funny now. Doesn't look as though it's going to get milder until the middle of next week now still so cold.

Attached Files:

6. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Snow?!!!!!!..geesh didn't expect that...my thoughts are with you,good luck

7. ROEBUK

It came quickly and went just as quick, you wouldn't even know we had any snow yesterday by looking at the garden today, but we did make the national newspapers (Mirror) in our area with some great wintery pictures.

Mayday tomorrow things can only get better? mmm

8. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well Spring finally arrived today and I've made the most of it. Most but not all are out now. Even one or two that were bitten with frost a few weeks back are re-budding.
    Now to just hope the temperature stays on the way up. Loads of samaras this year as well. Lots of seedlings that were naturally sown coming up as well.
    What a shame Roebuk that you are still having to wait for maple heaven.

9. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

I think I have a victim of old man winter. My four year old Shindeshojo now has wilted leaves.
    It leafed out with very tiny leaves and now today they all look wilted. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Pat