Coffee tree help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ilbacio89, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ilbacio89

ilbacio89 Member

Hi,
    I have had this tree for a few years, and it has not sprouted any lateral branches.. (Please ignore the sunburnt leaves). I was told to encourage growth of lateral branches I must pinch the top (So I twisted off the top two leaves). Since then, there are three new leaves and activity in that spot.
    What I am wondering is whether there is a way to encourage it to build lateral branches lower than the spot I pinched at? Will the trunk widen to better support more branches?

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forum.

You appear to have 4 coffee trees in a single container.
    They'd be much better off in individual pots. Blame the
    growers who think fuller plants sell better (ever if they're less healthy).

3. ilbacio89

ilbacio89 Member

Oh thanks, I kept being told "coffee trees should be next to each other, they like to be in tufts".... Always felt a bit wrong.
    So, if they find themselves in a healthier condition, will they spontaneously offshoot some lower lateral branches, do you think?

4. saltcedar

I doubt commercial bean growers would agree.

They should assuming light and soil are to their liking.

5. ilbacio89

ilbacio89 Member

I've just taken them out of the pot to detangle, but since they are spaced only a couple cm apart at most they are really really tangled (form one bulb of roots, really). Should I just let them continue growing this way, since untangling is doing so much damage, or is there a better procedure?

6. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Some others may disagree, but if it was me, I would cut them apart. Lay them down, and with a razor blade or equally sharp (clean) tool cut them cleanly apart trying to leave some roots attached to each plant if possible. Even if only 2-3 survive, I would rather have 2 thriving plants than 1 (4) stunted one(s).

7. ilbacio89

ilbacio89 Member

Mhm I see what you mean. By the way, I saw a couple earthworm-colored worms around the roots, about 1.5 cm long, should I keep them in the plant pot? I read that some believe that they feed on the roots of plants when in a potted environment....

8. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Personally, if I had a little plant in a little pot and I saw a worm in it, I'd take it out. In a big flower pot--like 5 gallons--I'd leave it in.

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think there's another reason for this: Practicality. I don't know how growers actually propagate these plants but I suspect it is with 3-4 coffee cherries per pot. Each cherry contains two beans but not all beans are viable so each pot would contain up to eight plants. Even with duds there'll be enough plants in each pot to make it saleable, therefore no throw-aways.

I bought one of these multi-planted pots and immediately transplanted the trees into separate pots. Following a regular fertilization schedule the trees started producing laterals naturally the following year. They grow to be densely foliated trees with little leaf loss and remain so after seven years. Also, support is not required since they develop straight, sturdy trunks. With your plants in their current condition I would be tempted to start over with new ones.

10. saltcedar

That would explain 3 or 4 but I've seen up to fifty in some species so color me skeptical.

11. Junglekeeper

Fifty plants in one pot?! That's insane. I don't think I've ever seen anything with more than 10.

12. saltcedar

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  13. Junglekeeper

You're right of course. I was thinking of 50 coffee plants in one pot when I made that comment. (Darn these early morning postings. Where's the coffee?)

14. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

I'm losing track of just how old my parent coffee tree is, we must have bought it in the early '70's as a six inch plant. It has dropped leaves all its life and still grown to about eight feet. Its last repotting, I fear will be its last. The root ball is at least 100 pounds and so is the Chinese egg pot that it got repotted to. Its offspring (that I've kept) range from 1 foot to 4 feet. They drop leaves too, and are pretty bare for the first half of their height. I pretty much let them do their own thing. They branch out when they want to. The parent plant has two trunks, so I guess I should call it plants plural. I must have dropped a half bean in the same pot, because there's a 5 inch 9 leaved seedling in there too.
    Cheers
    Carl

15. Junglekeeper

@Carl: Do new leaves ever sprout from the bare branches or are they limited to the stem ends? And, have you considered pruning the root ball, along with a corresponding reduction in the top growth?

16. ilbacio89

ilbacio89 Member

Thanks to all for the advice! I decided to try my best to slowly untangle the roots, hopefully they can survive/thrive! Set them outside in hope the trunks will strengthen with the wind.

Attached Files:

17. Junglekeeper

They look happier already. Good luck.

18. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Hi Jk:
    No. I don't recall ever seeing new leaves on bare twigs. When they start looking too dead I cut them off. I have had new growth out of the main trunk(s). I hadn't thought of pruning the root ball, but that seems like a good idea. We have been thinking about pruning the top, but it makes more sense to reduce both upper and lower growth. Thank you for that idea.
    Now. Are you feeling strong? How do you feel about visiting the Yukon?
    Cheers
    Carl

19. Junglekeeper

Nice of you to offer but I'll pass; I prefer warmer climes ;)