coffee and pencil cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Unregistered, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Re: Growing a pencil cactus

My cactus is about two feet tall and about two feet wide. It's been sitting above my desk in my office since I got it and receives nothing but artificial light. It's been growing rather slowly, but other than that it's been fine. I've noticed now (8 mo later) that it's dying quite quickly and was wondering if it may be attributed to the fact that an employee in the office poured his half cup of coffee into the pot. Could this have somewthing to do to its sudden death? I don't even think I can save a cutting.
    Any ideas anyone?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Can't imagine the coffee would have been good for it. You can try to root healthy sections or cuttings of the plant. See the thread sick suculants - Please help | UBC Botanical Garden Forums. Wipe or wash away sap from the cut end before allowing it to dry. I believe the sap of this plant is an irritant so you may want to take precautions.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. bobino

bobino Member

I'm agree with you. Coffe is so dangerous I think....

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I wouldn't think it likely that a half cup of coffee would kill it. Coffee grounds are recommended for enhancing the soil for plants. But then of course, milk, sugar, non-dairy creamer, hot temperature? I wonder if it was being overwatered by people in the office and if it was really getting sufficient light.

There are quite a few interesting threads about pencil cactus, Euphorbia tirucalli on the forums. You might want to use the search function (on the green bar at the top) to find them.

Good luck with the plant and propagating it.