Coastal fruit trees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Maecan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Maecan

Maecan Member

Hello,
    We've recently bought 8.5 acres of land on Bowen Island and we're interested in fruit trees that would do well in this particular area. We'd like to begin with two trees that would fit within our fenced garden area --so semi-dwarf or dwarf might be best. Any suggestions?
    Maecan

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Bowen has a number of apple enthusiasts. A huge variety of apples are grown on the island. One grower in particular has done well documented research on disease resistance, sweetness, times of maturity etc.
    You would be well advised to contact the Bowen Island Garden Club to reach island growers for the best advice. The number is to be found in the Bowen Island Gold Pages
    Good luck!

3. gakey

gakey Member

apple tree selections

Hi there, We sound like we are at similar times in our tree selection. I wonder if you have made any decisions, yet. I would be interested in what you decide.

I am in the research stage of planning the trees for our apple orchard. I have selected ambrosia, ergemont russet, golden russet, melrose, spartan, aurora golden gala, jonagold, shamrock and snowdrift/crabapple. I was wondering if you could let me know if this is a successful blend of trees that will crosspollinate. I am looking for an assortment of apples for eating fresh, dessert, cooking and cider. Also, apples that are suitable for growing on Mayne Island, BC. Our growing conditions are good.
    thank you for you input,
    diane