Clintonia borealis?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nitrogeninthesoil, May 30, 2017.

1. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I'm not gardening in the Northwest...I'm on the east coast (Appalachian mtns) but wondered if someone could give me advice. About 5 yrs ago I collected seed from what I believe was a Clintonia borealis. I sowed the seed, nothing happened and so I re-used the soil with the lily seed to sow something else. Well, it germinated but it was so small I didn't recognise it and I planted it out on top of a rock in a meadow . The rock is fairly well covered by some species of fine grass. The field is heavily used by deer but because the lily was under the grass it was never detected. The lily has never died back (leaves have not withered), not even over winter and this yr there is a second plant next to the first. I would very much like to transplant it into the deep woods where it should be but I don't want to kill it. I understand they hate being moved almost as much as they hate sunlight. I know this plant is common in many places but here it is endangered and I would like to leave it alone but I worry that as it grows and spreads eventually the deer will find it and the grass will no longer provide enough shade. What would you do?

Thanks for any input.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tricky! Don't suppose you can protect from deer with a wire cage, and plant something to provide shade? Otherwise, it sounds like an attempt at transplant will be the way to go (and I'm at a loss to suggest whether that is better with young plants or mature plants).

3. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Daniel,

Thank-you for your input. Wire cages generally don't work because the property sits on a bed of rock and it is next to impossible to drive stakes in to secure the cage...the deer here routinely pull up wire cages and toss them around! However, I like the idea of planting something around the rock....I could extend the nearby patch of pasture thistle along w/some mountain mint and Baptisia (all deer inhibiting)....not exactly deep wood species but very effective at shading other plants! Maybe if the little colony gets bigger I could experiment with moving a single plant into a better place.