Climbing Rose Recommendation

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Newbee, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Newbee

Newbee Member

I have a new, very sturdy trellis/screen against which I would ideally like to grow a rose - a climber not a rambler. The screen is 8' high x 4' wide and receives sun in Summer between 10am and 2:30pm.

I've earmarked "Dublin Bay", "Westerland" and "Compassion" as possible candidates. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or any other suggestions? I'm prepared do deal with mildew - rather a given late in the Summer on the North Shore slopes - but do want a rose which is Black Spot resistant.

Thanks,
    Newbee

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I have had Soaring Spirits for one year and am impressed by it's clean foliage. I love the colour blend of this particular rose. I can't tell you how tall this one will get to - yet, but it has put up one six foot cane this last season.

Another favourite of mine, for it's sumptious blooms is Pierre de Ronsard (Eden Rose). This one has thick stiff canes and can only be trained by bending them in an arch. I have had in in the garden for three years now, and is a constant bloomer. It gets a touch of black spot, no powdery mildew. No fragrance, though.

21Sep06033Large.jpg

My favourite climbing rose, though, is Parade. But this one is a bit of a monster and I am not sure if your structure is big enough. One downside this otherwise gorgeous climber is that it does get blackspot. In spite of that, it flowers right through to October/November. It is particularly cold hardy and is the last rose to give up the fight against old man winter.

GardenPics06June040041200.jpg

The champion in terms of black spot resistance in my garden is A Shropshire Lad. It is not a climber, but a huge shrub, with canes stretching up to 8 feet tall. It's canes are ram-rod straight, but you should be able to train it as an espalier.

Garden29May050181000.jpg

Garden29May050191000.jpg

Garden29May050961000.jpg

3. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    You could mix two roses of different colours together on the same trellis. I have a Don Jaun and a Golden Shower growing over a trellis and the red and yellow make an interesting combination.