Cleome seed pods

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by seadancer, Jun 16, 2008.

1. seadancer

seadancer Member

When is the best time to pick the seed pods off the flower...when they are nice and plump?...and how to store them?

My Thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Never tried collecting Cleome seed, but in general principle, collect them just as they start to turn brown before splitting open.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh, yes! they must be either browned over or just starting to brown before you pick them.

take them out of the pods and let dry for a bit if they're moist (the shouldn't be unless it's been raining). i store them in old baby food jars.

pods will continue to be produced as long as it flowers (and it'll flower all summer long).

4. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

From what I've read, you don't need to collect the seeds; they are widely distributed when the pods pop. You just let the volunteers come up in their own time and you move them around or thin them. I'm trying to get some cleome started in my garden, having started them from purchased seed. The transplanted seedlings seem to be fodder for slugs, as are the petunias. I don't know if I'll ever see self-sown plants in my garden. You're fortunate to have cleome blooming!

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you're worried about the pods bursting before you get to them, you can tie paper bags loosely over the flower head to catch them as they eject.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

debby, you are correct about letting the pods burst on their own and then just moving seedlings as needed. that would most probably work seadancer is located.

what zone are you in? if 6 or lower (and maybe 7) the seeds of the cleome won't survive winter - so you're going to need to collect them for the following year. if slugs are an issue, do the seeds inside and transplant when they're a few inches tall (maybe wait until they're about 6 inches). the bigger they are when the slugs get to them, the better chance they have of surviving.