citrus planting dilema

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by redster, Apr 18, 2009.

1. redster

redster Active Member

i already have a grapefruit and a owari satsuma planted in full sun. if possible id like to plant 4 more citrus around my yard. i dont have a huge yard so only 2 more can get full sun. the other 2 will end up with full morning sun, then around 1 or 2 in the afternoon start moving into the partial shade of a house and distant oak tree.

the 4 trees id like to plant are meyer lemon, sunburst tangerine, an early satsuma not sure which yet, and another tangerine or possibly clementine. which ones if any are better suited for some partial shade and still capable of ripening fruit.

thx

red

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any of the varieties you list should do fine as long as the get 6 hours of sun. All will grow with less than 6 hours sun, but the crop size will be less. - Millet (1,371-)

3. redster

redster Active Member

i guess thats what i should have asked in the first place, whats the minimum amount of sun they need for a relatively full crop. i think in the spot im talking about 6 hours is easy enough to get, but if i need more sun i might be able to move them a few feet, but not much more.

thx

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Although, full sun is desired, 6 hours a day is adequate for a decent crop. Citrus are native of SE China, where they grew as under story trees beneath taller native tree varieties. Citrus leaves max out their manufacturing ability of photosyntheses at the low light level of 600 PAR, which is about 1/3 of full sunlight. - Millet (1,370-)

5. redster

redster Active Member

thats all i wanted to know then, think ill plant the lemon in the shade first and see how it goes.

thx