Christmas Tree

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Shade187, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Hello. I'm not sure where to put this post so I hope it's ok that I put it here.

I have a 4-5ft christmas tree which is sadly not looking very well. Off the top of my head I would say it's a. bout 6 years old but it could be older. I can safely say it's under 10 years old any way.

My problem is this. The tree has lost it's lower branches. Where the lower branches should be there is what looks like dried out little twigs that have a brown/black small circle on the bark where the branch is growing from. The circle is very small and difficult to see and it's possible it could be part of the tree. The best description I can give you of the tree is it literally looks like a stick with a wig on the top. By wig I mean the green branches/foilage at the top of the tree. This foilage is very healthy and a nice dark green colour. The foilage covers and 2-3 inches of the top of the tree and the rest is bear. The foilage only seems to cover one side of the tree as well.

I spoke to a local garden centre early today and was advised it could be cat spraying that has killed the lower branches or a red spider infestation. I was advised to buy a ultimate bug killer and to treat the christmas tree with this. Does this sound right? I want to save the little guy if possible.

Can anyone tell me if these lower branches will grow back? Is there anything I can do to enable the branches to grow back?

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

dear Shade 187 you tree have a good dreinage?because i presume that your tree problem is one fungi attack ,for you tree i want be in error !!because if is one fungi your tree is near to dead.....

3. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I think the drainage is ok but the soil is a clay type which I know some trees don't like.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post photos of it? Ideally at least one of the whole tree, and close-ups of the damage.

5. Shade187

Shade187 Member

I will certainly try to tomorrow after or before I transplant him to the back garden. How can I upload a picture to this site?

Should I remove the lower branches that are dead or leave them alone?

6. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Here's the pictures of the Christmas tree. Best I can do I'm afraid.

First picture is the lower branches I mentioned. The second picture is the whole of the tree and the final picture is where the foilage/branches is on the top of the tree.

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like a Norway spruce. There may be a fungus or insects where it has bands of pale foliage.

8. Shade187

Shade187 Member

I have a few more pictures of the branches.

First picture is the side branches of the tree, second is the lower branches and final picture is the bottom of the tree. I haven't transplanted him yet as the ground is too hard.

Is there anything I can do to treat the fungus or insects? Shall I try that ultimate bug killer?

Will the branch|es grow back? I don't fancy a huge Norway Spruce that looks like a giant twig Lol.

Attached Files:

9. alex66

try: pruned branch and leaves dry, cut a little leaves and branch green,and good luck!because this tree not have a good look...
    ciao

the cause for me is not good drainage...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  10. Shade187

Shade187 Member

I think the drainage is ok but I'm not 100% certain. I don't have much experience with drainage of soil though as I'm not familiar with this term. Is there a way I can tell if the soil drainage is poor or good?

So I need to trim some of the lower banches and some of the leaves on the top?

Thank you. :-)

11. alex66

christmas tree have the habitat in hill o small mountain ,in country "0" level sea conditions,the root have problem with watering because the water remain for many time around the roots, this suffocate the roots
    now when planted christmas tree or conifer or maple in the hole put a little stone and sand;or planted the tree above a little hill of soil .
    for more read in genus maple sez.FAQ "how to plant a maple "
    ciao

12. Shade187

Shade187 Member

Oh I didn't know that :-) I will keep a eye on the tree and see if he improves. Thank you very much for your help.