Chinese Evergreen Propagation

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nicole0426, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Hello,

I have a chinese evergreen that I have tried to propagate over the last several months. One leaf has taken root but it will not grow. It is not dying but it won't produce any more growth either. It is a single leaf with roots at the bottom of the leaf node. Do I just need to be patient?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Needs more detail - there's thousands of evergreen species native to China.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think you may not have taken a big enough cutting. The info I read on propagating Aglaonema, said that one would need a shoot with at least five leaves. You describe only one leaf. If the plant is dense with shoots, you should be able to take the plant out of the pot and separate out a few small whole plants.

4. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Thank you. I was worried about that. Even if it has rooted, will it still not produce more leaves?

5. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Its a chinese evergreen maria.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aglaonema 'Maria' is supposed to be one of the easiest to grow. Even though these plants are called Chinese evergreen, this one is from the Philippines. They are Aglaonema species and are native to tropical and suptropical Asia.

I think your problem may well be that you did not take enough stem. There are plants that will develop from just a leaf cutting, but for most the grow tissue needed to put out a new shoot is not present in a single leaf. Look for a growing tip with several leaves. Remove the lowest leaves before you stick the stem into your cutting medium.

7. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Okay. Thank you much.