Chestnut Tree Leaf Browning

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by ejinchemainus, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ejinchemainus

ejinchemainus Member

Hi,

I have a common chestnut tree that was started from a seed about 10 years ago. It is now about 8 feet tall, branching nicely. My question relates to the browning around the edges of all of the leaves that shows up around July of each year. A friend told me this was some sort of blight but I have not found any information to confirm this. Is this the likely cause and if so is there anything I can do about it? Thanks in advance for any advice provided...

EJ

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timing suggests something related to summer weather conditions. What are your fertilization practices? If salt injury there may be salt deposits visible on edges of scorched areas.

3. ejinchemainus

ejinchemainus Member

Thanks, I haven't noticed any salt but we do live by the ocean so this is possible. What is the best fertilizer to use for this type of tree?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Salt deposits on leaves would come from minerals in irrigation water or fertilizer. Do not apply any additional salt (fertilizer) until you find out what is wrong with the tree. Fertilizer only corrects soil nutrient deficiencies and no other plant cultivation issues. And even then you have to choose the right fertilizer for your particular situation.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What chestnut is it? Castanea sativa? Castanea dentata? Or something else?

6. ejinchemainus

ejinchemainus Member

Thanks Michael,
    It is a Aesculus hippocastanum according to my garden books...
    EJ

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

So a horse-chestnut, not a real chestnut! These are prone to early leaf browning and fall, particularly in dry summers, but although unsightly, it doesn't seem to affect them adversely. Irrigation, if you can provide it, may help.

There is also a minor leaf disease Guignardia aesculi which has much the same effect except blotches in the middle of the leaf not the edges; it too doesn't cause much in the way of serious problems for the tree. See if the symptoms shown at this page match: http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=200

8. ejinchemainus

ejinchemainus Member

Thanks, it is great for making conkers though! I'll just have to make sure to water it more. I have very sandy soil that drains very will so must not have been giving it enough in the dry months.