Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Already here Alain.
    Acer palmatum 'Anne Irene'

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Oh, sorry, I've wasted some server space then.

3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Anne Irene seems to be at every garden centre I go to but has never once caught my eye. I think they must be easy to propergate because I see them everywhere but never once been inspired to buy one.

4. Acerholic

I think it's one of those Marmite trees Luke.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  5. Luke’s Maples

I think you’re right D ;-)

6. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Oh c'mon now, don't tell me you don't like Marmite!

7. Acerholic

Lol. I like Marmite and I like Anne Irene. Wonder what that says about me!!?

Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  8. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I can see the attraction..it’s one of those cultivars that you probably have to grow out and let the attributes develop, rather than the instant wow factor that, maybe a 50cm Tsuma gaki or Ghost tree gives you.

9. Acerholic

Agree totally R. Mine has improved over the years, it did look quite sorry for itself when I bought it. But definitely would not be without it now.

10. Keith Elliott

Thank goodness, you had me worried there for a minute.

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

"Marmite" ? Er... the thing that comes in a jar, love it or hate it ? I think about 99.5% of French people just hate it ! It's about like this taste they have in Japan, "Umami", if you were not born there, little chance you can appreciate it.

Well, taste can be educated, "odd" flavours can be appreciated if put with the right accompaniment, like an unexpeted note in a chord that shows you a new dimension...

dicky5ash likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, well after a night of heavy rain and now some early sunshine, it just has to be a red day. Red dissectum 237.JPG Oshu shidare 237.JPG English Lace 237.JPG Inaba shidare 237.JPG Red dragon 237.JPG Orangeola 237.JPG
    These are Red dissectum, Oshu shidare, English Lace, Inaba shidare, Red Dragon and Orangeola.

LorenzoDec, Xi-feng, AlainK and 5 others like this.
  13. Luke’s Maples

Nice pics D regarding Anne Irene, I’ve only ever seen little straggly ones at garden centres in max 3ltr pots. Perhaps once they get bigger and take some form they can become attractive. I like Marmite btw lol :-)

14. Luke’s Maples

Keith, thanks for the very kind words. The garden did look stunning at the time, which is early to mid morning. The honest answer is I don’t know, and would have to go out and count.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  15. Acerholic

They can be a bit, all over the place type of cultivar, even when older, but the contrast with the reds is really rather pleasing.
    So as you like Marmite, you might like Anne Irene. Lol.

16. Luke’s Maples

They do have 2 enormous Shishigashira there still. They are mind bending. The trunk structure at the bottom is almost otherworldly.

maf and dicky5ash like this.
  17. dicky5ash

Batsford is covered on my friends of Westonbirt membership..I’ve only ever popped to the nursery there at the end of the day, I must make an effort and go..how long would you spend there looking? Is it a 2 or 3 hr look or longer? I’ve happily trudged around Westonbirt for 6hrs and not seen it all!

18. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

From memory I would say it is decent half day to see most everything. Quite a bit smaller than Westonbirt obviously, but worth allowing 3-4 hours.

dicky5ash likes this.
  19. dicky5ash

Thanks, I think it’s brightening up on the weekend, I’ll give it a whirl on Saturday or Sunday

20. Keith Elliott

Thanks for your reply Luke. If you have that many, I wouldn't worry about any old count! Everything always looks so nice in your photos.

21. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Since I'm new, I thought why not share my personal collection. I have one maple for several years, a dissectum garnet I think, got it from my mom for a birthday. Never really paid a lot of attention to it, just one of my plants. This year I started on a yard renovation and while shopping for a Amelanchier Lamarckii I just happened to find, randomly, an acer japonicum Aconitifolium there, as well as an Acer Palmatum Sode Nishiki (for only 100€, but look at the size!!!). And this is what got me started. I bought 3 small ones. Then I bought 10 more. And then some more.... and now I have a nice collection. I'm planning to cultivate them in the coming years by growing understock and then grafting.

I've got them all under a roof or in the greenhouse, since the weather is so bad. Normally I have them out in the yard instead of next to all this rubbish.

The pictures show:
    - Katsura
    - Japonicum Aconitifolium (370$)
    - Sode Nishiki (this is the 100$ tree)
    - Wilson's Pink Dwarf
    - Katsura
    - Bloodgood
    - Trompenburg
    - Phoenix
    - Skeeter's Broom
    - Deshojo
    - Dissectum
    - Anne Irene
    - Dissectum Garnet
    - Shirasawanum Aureum
    - Shirasawanum Jordan
    - Orange Dream
    - Dissectum Garnet (I think, not sure, got it from my mom in 2017, could be an Inabe Shidare too...)
    - Atropurpureum
    - Black Lace (one of my favorites)
    - Jerre Schwartz
    - Amagi Shiguri

I also have a Bi Hoo and true Palmatum but the first was heavily damaged by fungus so I cut it all back and the latter is in the back. This will be my future 'mother tree' for seed.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

@Riverdale27 thats a wonderful collection K. I think we can safely say you are well and truly hooked on maples.
    Black Lace is one of my favourites in my garden BTW.

Riverdale27 likes this.
  23. Riverdale27

Yeah the color is beautiful, it really looks like lace, and it seems to grow quite fast as well...

24. Luke’s Maples

Gorgeous collection. Very well looked after trees. Well done.

Riverdale27 likes this.
  25. Riverdale27

Thanks! Gotta be honest, I just bought them 2 months ago and potted the up, so I can't take all the credit. But I can promise you I'll treat them as if they were my kids over the coming years ;)

Question: will they also grow big in containers? Or is the difference ground vs container quite significant?