Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Gomero, thanks for that. Such a lovely salmon pink.

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thanks. I took them a couple of days ago but didnt know whether to post, but when you mentioned Skeeters broom I though hey, why not.

3. Luke’s Maples

4. Luke’s Maples

Acerholic. I completely agree. It is nice to have a mix of varieties as they all seem to be eye catching at different times of the year. I actually love the green varieties. Some of them are so bright in Spring and then glow with yellows, oranges and reds in Autumn.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Bonjour everyone,

Who said that this forum was asleep? Haven't checked it for three days and I was already at least 60 messages late. And it's not only because as most people are under lock and key, it's just because spring is one of the finest moment in the life of a maple enthusiast. ;°)

Some photos taken this afternoon - bright sun and 25°C ! (77F!)

'Rainbow', less spectacular, less variegated, darker than last year:

acerp-rainbow01_200410a.jpg

'Gwen's Rose Delight', another variegated one, rather pinkish:

acerp-gwensro_200410a.jpg

'Tsuma Gaki' (deserves a better photo, the green is much more luminous):

acerp-tsuma-gaki_200410a.jpg

'nonid03' : "non-identifié #03". I gave up numbering all the seedlings I got from seeds snatched here and there, but this was one of the first ones I had, probably from a dissectum. The mature leaves are rather similar to the type though thicker and shinier, but the first leaves are original compared to others. Some of the lobes are slightly twisted (same tree, 1 and 1/2 hour difference)

acerp-nonid03_200410a.jpg acerp-nonid03_200410b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    emery, Jaybee63 and Acerholic like this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' has finaly leafed out, weeks after the seedlings from it. What is surprising is the lack of red colours on the leaves. It was very different the years before :

acershir-a.moon_200410a.jpg
    (I hope I can take some seeds again in Autumn)

Last year (12th April 2019)

acershir-a.moon_190412a.jpg

???

emery and Jaybee63 like this.
  7. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here’s my Green Cascade. This is a young plant, a had an old specimen which I lost, but this is one that had to be replaced. It naturally forms a nice shape.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Hi AlainK, first of all I agree this forum is far from asleep, messages and wonderful photos from all over the world. (Brilliant).
    Love your photos and especially Gwen's Rose Delight, not seen this one before.
    Re your Autumn Moon, do you think it was due to the very wet winter that we have had causing different colouring? I have had similar this year also.

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Luke here's a pic of my Green cascade from a few years back now , they have a stunning fire red /orange colour, plain green through the year then it comes alive.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, that is a lovely Spring green, it is a shame when we lose a tree we have had for many years but at least we all can replace.
    I do wish I had the room to graft all of my trees so I can replace from the original.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, I know your message was directed to Luke, but can I say what a stunning Autumn photo !!! Green Cascade really stands out.

Hope Spring has arrived in Yorkshire for you this weekend, would love to see your maples new leaves from your collection for 2020?

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  12. Luke’s Maples

Hi Roebuk. That is a gorgeous bright red. I'd love to know what the others are too. You have an amazing garden.

13. Luke’s Maples

Another video? Hehe

14. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Nice to see final color. Have only had mine a year and didn't get to see the full color change but did enjoy the transitional colors before a rain/wind storm blew everything off the tree right after these pics.

10.24.19 05.46 PM.jpg 10.24.19 05.43 PM.jpg 10.26.19 09.00 AM.jpg 10.26.19 04.46 PM.jpg

dangerine49 and AlainK like this.
  15. ROEBUK

To be honest i think it will be the end of the month before everyone's out , all are well on the way and in the past two days i have seen a marked movement in all of them, just need some warmer weather still putting a large koto no ito which was lifted last year away at night, next weeks forecast looks as though it's going to turn cold again so i am still weary, we always seem to have a bad few days at the back end of April up't north !!!

Jaybee63 likes this.
  16. ROEBUK

Luke if you look at the lower 1/3rd of the tree it's still green, it just used to get late afternoon sun coming through the fence on the upper part of the tree, will do some vids once they are all out.

17. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, did think you might be a bit behind re leafing out, tbh even in Hampshire near Winchester mine have been exceptionally slow this year. Yes next week might stunt a few, let's hope we don't get a frost. Fingers crossed for you in Yorkshire.
    It looks like I've lost my koto no ito due to the ground was just too wet. I will replace it as it's a favourite of my wife's. Will add a lot more grit to aid drainage if next Winter is going to be as wet as last year.
    Anyway will definitely look forward to seeing your Spring photos and I second the comment from Luke re your garden.

18. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

How long have you been growing Taylor? Any issues growing it? Is it in a Pot? Sun/Shade? Thanks

19. Acerholic

Hi SLR2009, I've been growing Taylor for a few years now in a pot and recently put it in the ground. It has a good green through the Sumner and then in Autumn it goes to the well known Taylor Pink.
    It can be a difficult tree if you dont keep it in the shade, but I would reccomend it. I've attached two photos for you. Summer and Autumn.
    Hope that's of help.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Hi wind-borne, re your Green Cascade, it looks as if it was a seed that just fell and grew there, 'looks perfect' and natural in its setting; just how it should look. Very nice.

21. Luke’s Maples

Hi Roebuk, yes I see that now. I thought it was 2 separate trees at a first glance. It is amazing how much difference the sunlight has. I cant wait to see your videos. Thanks

22. Luke’s Maples

It does doesn't it. I was thinking the same. Beautiful shape and colour.

23. Luke’s Maples

I always thought Taylor was similar to Shirazz but it looks completely different. Very pretty in Autumn. Thanks for sharing.

24. Luke’s Maples

A little treat this morning.6

Shigatatsu Sawa
    Amber Ghost
    Purple Ghost

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Morning Luke, you are a sucker for the reticulated maples. So am I, lol
    Think Amber Ghost is my favourite, how about you ?
    Lovely photos, Thankyou.