Changing Color

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

When I bought this Echeveria it was in a very dark part of the gardening department. After a month with a little more sun, this succulent is looking a little more colorful. Is this an Echeveria "Black Prince"?

Attached Files:

2. Wask

Wask Active Member

I don't think you have a Black Prince there unless it has stretched itself out due to low light levels, which is a possibility. I can't say for sure...below is a photo of mine. It is noticably different.

black prince.jpg

3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Do you keep your plant in direct sun? Mine plant only gets direct sun for about an hour a day, the rest of the time it is just bright light. What do you think it is, if not an Echeveria Black Prince.

4. Wask

Wask Active Member

Yes full sun. I live in zone 8 so it spends the winter in a bright unheated greenhouse. I'm not sure exactly what you've got but give it more sun and see what happens.

5. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I live in zone 9, I think, and so far my plants are outside, some in a topless gazebo-kind of structure, so the plants get sun for part of the day. I don't know if I will be able to have them outside for the whole winter though. We had two days of frost warnings and I carted all 39 plants into the house at night, carting them back outside in the daytime so they could get light. We rarely get weather that cold, so I don't know if I need to go with a greenhouse or not.

I am getting off the original subject. I will see about moving the plant to a location with full sun, and see what happens.

6. Wask

Wask Active Member

Good luck! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your plant.

7. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

8. Wask

Wask Active Member

I see what you mean...very interesting. It does look quite alot like yours. Could there be different forms of "Black Prince"?

9. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I'm new to succulents, so I'm not sure. Maybe it is a hybrid (is that what you call a cross between two different succulents?) or maybe it just depends on how it was taken care of. I don't know, maybe of they get a lot of light to start out they look like your beautiful plant, and if they don't get a lot of light to start out, they end up more flattened. I'm thinking that mine is a variation of some sort. What do you think?

10. Wask

Wask Active Member

Well I'm not exactly an expert myself. My understanding is that E. black prince is a hybrid of E. shaviana and E. affinis.There are a lot of unnamed hybrids out there. If you go to www.desert-tropicals.com you will see a black prince that appears to be different than either of ours. I do know that low light levels will cause echeverias to "stretch out" and pale in colour. I'll let you know if I come across another one that looks like yours.

11. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

You are right! That one is total different from either of our plants.

12. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Here's a little update on my Echeveria Black (formerly known as) Prince. I put it in full sun a week ago and it lost most of it's green and is getting a little darker. I love to watch the plants change in the pictures I take. It definitely likes more sunlight, that's for sure. I'll post updates as it gets darker.

Attached Files:

13. Wask

Wask Active Member

Hey, looking good! I was at a local garden center today and saw some Black Prince that looked exactly like yours. They were in a dark corner with no natural light whatsoever. They had all the sun loving succulents and cacti basically in the dark. Sad... Good luck!

14. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou. Wait until it has been in the sunshine for a month and we'll see what difference that makes.

You are right! Stores always seem to think that succulents belong in the darkest corner they can find. Maybe they think they are related to mushrooms! :D