Identification: Chamaecyparis - What?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Harry Homeowner, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Harry Homeowner

Harry Homeowner Active Member

I bought both of these little guys and they were not labeled I believe both of them are some kind of Chamaecyparis but not sure of species or cultivar - any help would be appreciated.

I believe the yellow/gold one is a variety of C. pisifer.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Second is a cultivar of Hinoki Cypress Chamaecyparis obtusa.

First might be a juvenile foliage cultivar of Atlantic White Cypress Chamaecyparis thyoides, but not certain. Juvenile foliage cypresses are notoriously difficult to identify; one cultivar was put into six different genera (including one all its own!) by different botanists, until someone finally did a chemical analysis of the resin and discovered it belonged to Platycladus orientalis.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When I was trying to identify a large old local specimen of one of the juvenile foliage forms of C. pisifera or C. thyoides it seemed most like C. pisifera cultivars on offer at local outlets. Yours may also be one of these, although all I have to go by here is pictures.

And even when able to compare live specimens here I was unable to be absolutely certain which species the tree in question belonged to, let alone which cultivar.