cedars dying on willow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by summergirl12, Jan 8, 2007.

1. summergirl12

summergirl12 Member

Can anyone help me as to why are cedars around our condo are dying?? I have noticed that most on Willow Street (around VGH), seem to be brown and not healthy at all...we are thinking of replacing them at a large cost...but they to will eventually die if something is not right...does the soil need to be a certain pH for these guys?? and where can i get a soil sample done so the new ones are happy in the ground they are in...Thanks anyone for the info.
    MG

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post some photos?

3. Buzzbee

Buzzbee Active Member

any idea what kind of "Cedar's" you have. How old are they, etc.
    Could be pests, climate conditions, we had a very hot dry spell this summer/fall. If you need someone to physically look at them, there are several people on this site that live in the area with the qualifications to help you. I have dealt with two from this site with my own cedar problems and been very happy with the services. Contact me if you would like to have the names.

Buzz

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Recent wet weather may be causing root rot problems. And if these are Port Orford cedars (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) they might have gotten root rot anyway, ~regardless of variations in weather.

If the soil is unsuitable, for above or other reasons replanting with same or similar items probably unwise.

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Are they brown, or bronze?

I wouldn't say that bronze is a good color for western red cedar, but I've seen quite a few turn that color in the winter time; likewise with some trees like giant sequoia on a few occassions.