Hedges: Cedar Hedge/Roots'n'all

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Hopeful, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful Member

Hello! I'm very new to this forum and somewhat new to gardening.
    I'm not new, however, to hard work...which helped me during "phase 1" of my Cedar Hedge Renewal Program here in BC.
    "Phase 2" will involve removing the stumps and root systems of the unfortunate 20-year old Western Red Cedar hedge which I avoided pruning all those 20 years due to other commitments on my time.
    The plan is to replace the hedge with cedar plants which have a more cylindrical growth habit and therefore would require topping only. The western red cedars were beautiful trees, but as hedge plants close to the neighbouring property line, they soon grew through and over the fence and when the property sold the new owner took exception to the "intrusion" and hacked the limbs on "his" side right back to the tree trunks. (Hence the removal one year later).
    ...Finally?!...Question----Will I be able to successfully establish a replacement hedge in the same area and should I be concerned about removing nearly all the former root system?
    Thank-you, Hopeful.

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

It might make planting easier if you stump grind at least the planting holes.

Or the stumpt to, if unsightly.

In Oregon, grinders can be rented for under $150 for a day from a rental yard.

Sometimes thats a good option for the right homeowner.

3. Hopeful

Hopeful Member

My thanks, M.D.Vaden. However, I feel I need to remove the root system as well as the stumps for ease of planting....Hiab Crane Truck? Backhoe?

4. Botann

Botann Member

My neighbor took out a 20 year old Western Red Cedar hedge last year. He used a backhoe and it went relatively easy. He replaced it with a row of Thuja occidentalis, 'Emerald'. The branches were run through a chipper and the stumps were burned just this Spring. The trunks were cut into firewood.
    I'd say if you have room for a backhoe, that would be the way to go. Stump grinders don't go deep enough to allow for planting holes.

5. Hopeful

Hopeful Member

Thank-you....a small excavator has just finished with stump removal....went VERY easily!
    And now.......What to plant in place of the old???
    Thanks for your help, until my next questions, Bye!