Ceanothus recovery help

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Elstar, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Elstar

Elstar Member

We bought our house last year and inherited a lovely ceanothus (California Lilac), and I really enjoyed its scent and all the bees it brought to the garden. It looks like it's been around for a while - it's about 3 feet tall and 4 feet wide.

It had a hard time this winter. Most of the leaves on the plant are brown and crunchy. I have noticed that the few remaining green leaves on the plant (about 5% of the plant) are now sprouting new leaves and looking reasonably healthy. But there doesn't seem to be much hope for the rest of the bush, and it's not particularly attractive at the moment.

So, my thoughts are to either leave it and see what happens, or prune all the dead stuff off (most of the plant), or I guess get rid of it - which would make me sad. Could anyone advise who has had this experience?

Thank you!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Leave it for now - regrowth may appear higher up later. Prune off what's definitely dead in a couple of months time.

3. Elstar

Elstar Member

Thanks, I will give that a shot. A lot of the Ceanothus in Vancouver I've noticed seemed to have suffered a similar fate, so keeping my fingers crossed!