Catalpa tree question

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by plantluver, Jul 27, 2005.

1. plantluver

plantluver Member

I have a common catalpa tree in my backyard that is approx. 10-12 yrs old. It is about 40 feet tall with a trunk girth of 2 feet, and makes a lovely natural umbrella. The flower stage is gorgeous but those beans are a mess! My question is how long can I expect this tree to live? I have read they are short lived trees and I have noticed the carpenter ants have moved into the trunk area where a split has developed in the bark from the base to the crown. Any info or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you in advance.
    regards, plantluver

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Catalpas are brittle and will begin to loose branches with age, but you can expect to enjoy your tree's company for some time. I have fond memories of a catalpa on a farm in Southern Ontario that must be coming on a hundred now. Expect it to live at least 50-75 years.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd think the carpenter ants etc. would indicate reduced longevity. Have an ISA Certified arborist look at it.

4. plantluver

plantluver Member

Thanks to the Hortline and Ron B for responding. It's great to know that I could still be enjoying this beauty into my retirement provided the ants are not indicitive of a serious problem. I will definately be looking into that further. Thanks and Best Regards, plantluver