Care for a Peace Lily

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Ms. Penny, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ms. Penny

Ms. Penny New Member

I have a peace lily that I just got from my father-in-law's funeral. I had in by two windows with direct sun - which I found I should not do. I've moved it to where it is now getting "indirect" sun. However, some of the leaves are getting holes in them - the plant has never been outside. Why is this? What can I do?

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

It's never been outside when you've had it, true. But it might have picked up pests where it was first grown, or at the garden store. I suspect you've got a slug or two hiding in the thick base of one or more leaves. They'll come out at night, when you're not around, and hide when the light comes back. They like moisture, and peace lilies need a fair bit of water, so it's like heaven.

Try using the shell of half an avocado as a lure in the pot. Don't dry it -- you want moisture in it. Turn it upside down on top of the soil so it makes a little "house" and prop it up on one side so there's a way in, but not too big a gap. Put it on the side of the plant where you've seen the holes in the leaves. Leave it for a couple of days and see if you catch any slugs!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.