Cardiocrinum giganteum

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Bill, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

I understand that Cardiocrinum seeds do not tolerate drying and must be used when fresh.

What is the best way to germinate them? I would think that shallow pans with a cover of sand might do it - I wouldn't want to trust seedlings to the garden as these plants seem to be like catnip to slugs.

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Bill,

No special treatment required for Cardiocrinum seeds.

They germinate readily if kept in a cold, shaded frame or sheltered position in a regular potting mix. Germination is epigeal, the cotyledon usually growing out in late winter or early spring. Transplant when large enough to handle. Grow in a sheltered position for 3 or 4 years before transplanting to flowering site.

Other than slugs, small rodents are a threat also. Seed grown plants are usually more vigorous and larger than plants produced by offsets

3. pnwjudy

pnwjudy Member

fresh seed?

My first Cardiocrinum bloomed this year and the stalk is still there, still green, but the pods are starting to look a little drier but not yet split open.
    Should i open the pods to get at the seed, or wait for them to split on their own?
    If I wait will the seed still be fresh?
    I would like to leave the stalk and pods intact for drying and decorative purposes if possible, but I do want to get at the seed at the right time.
    Thanks