Cape seed primer

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, May 31, 2007.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

have any of you guys on here had any experience using this product? IT come on a red paper disc and you soak your palm or other hard to germinate seeds in it, it apperantly speeds up germination by simulating brush fire or nutirents from the soil that the seed needs to grow

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I've done some leucospermum and romneya seeds recently that often are helped by the smoke. Didn't have access to the discs from my seed supplier, but, I don't believe they are the only way to accomplish the smoke treatment.

I have always burnt some pine twigs and made a kinda tea out of the charcoal/ashes to water the seed trays. Just to be sure i picked up a bottle of liquid smoke from the grocery store and poured that over my romneyas...they did finally start to sprout quite a bit more on the side of the tray that was so treated, might actually help.

I haven't heard of this helping with palm seeds, mostly Mediterranean and desert stuff that are triggered by fire in their native habitat...tho apparently very unrelated species can benefit for no obvious reason so experimenting can be fun and profitable at times.

3. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I have used the Cape seed primer on African seed and I got good germination but I can't say for sure that it helped any because I didn't try to germinate any without the smoke treatment to see if I'd get the same results.

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

idid use it on some palm seeds but its been a few months and nothing still.... si u cant say for much either thats whay im asking. It doesnt seem like anyone has had any spectacular results with it