Cape Primrose

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Majentas, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Majentas

Majentas Active Member

I've recently planted a clipping of this Primrose. They say it's like an African Violet. So, I bought a bag of "African Violet Mix" dirt. It has Peat moss, Humus, Compost and Perlite in it. What are your thoughts on these ready made bags? Are they just a gimmick? Should I just stick with a good, regular mix and fertilizer?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

The potting medium for cape primroses needs to be a sterilized mix with good drainage -- a recommended mix consists of 2 parts peat moss, 1 part potting soil and 1 part sharp sand or perlite. So your african violet mix sounds all right.
    These plants do need to be fertilized during their growing season, and in particular they require a high potash content.
    Depending on the group your plant belongs to, they may need a rest period with less water and no food (the Wiesmoor and Nymph hybrids). The Saxorum group has no rest period and can be kept moist and fertilized throughout the year.