Can you help me save this Jade, please?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ilovetherainthemost, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ilovetherainthemost

ilovetherainthemost New Member

Hi there,

Been searching all over the internet to find a remedy for my sick Jade and finally landed here. Propagation might be the only savior, but I'm hoping someone wiser than I can shed some light on her illness.

A few months ago this Jade was dropping branches left and right. Branches and leaves would get mushy and fall off by the dozens. So we took action and decided to repot her thinking it was insects in the root system. After scraping off the top 2" of old soil, giving her leaves a good cleaning, moving her into a fresh new pot (slightly larger than previous one) with all new soil, she seemed to make a comeback and even threw off some new growth. But, she is still ill...

The issue now is that one of the very large branches (main stem) that got soggy and fell off continues to get moldy/mushy even after I attempted to cut it back to find firm/healthy plant tissue. I tried to capture this issue with photos. The earlier photo shows post-cut where blue-ish mold starts to grow. It progresses into the dark brown mush of a stump that is just soggy and dead. The deterioration continues to progress downward.

Can she be saved? I sure hope so.

I'm grateful for any thoughts or remedies that anyone is willing to share!

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Regrettably it looks like fungus has made it into the core of the plant. It is very difficult to treat infections once they are inside the plant. Usually the simplest cure is rather drastic surgery, cutting all the way back to healthy tissue, disinfecting and letting it dry. Be sure to cut at an angle so water drains from the wound. I find putting a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the wounds lessens the chance the infection will continue to spread. If the rot goes all the way to the soil level propagation of some of the healthy branches is probably your last hope.

3. ilovetherainthemost

ilovetherainthemost New Member

Thanks for your input Will! I suspected a rather large amputation was looming. I'll be sure to try the hydrogen peroxide and keep my fingers crossed that it will stop the progression of the infection. Thanks again for chiming in.