Can I reduce the height?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by D97x7, Jun 2, 2022.

1. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Hello everyone, first post outside of the maple pages. I have an Opuntia Subulata that is growing too tall for my space, the top is no longer getting any direct light and seems to be suffering, so I'm wondering if it would branch out lower if I simply cut a couple of feet off it? I've had it many years so don't want to discard it and unfortunately it can't sit on the floor due to the dog's tails.
    IMG_20220602_085943.jpg

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It's a shame it has run out of room to grow but it looks like it's possible to propagate the tops. Articles on thw web say removing the top of a columnar cactus will force the mother plant to branch out. You'll find out eventually since you have no choice but to propagate the tops. You could always experiment with one plant and see what happens before going further. By the way, how many years did it take to grow them to this height?

References:

D97x7 likes this.
  3. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, I think I'll leave it for this year but it's good to know that I can do something, I've had it for around 12 years it was about 8 inches when I bought it.