Identification: can anyone help with an ID for this plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by 81044, Jun 11, 2007.

1. 81044

81044 Active Member

I recently purchased a small plant..with a handwritten name of 'copper penny' affixed to the side of the pot. I don't know whether it is winter hardy or not--but I suspect that it is not. Its leaves look like a hydrocotyle,generally almost round and smooth edged...but they are firm and succulent-like...the stems are more like rex begonia stems...covered in old dried bracts. I was told that it is semi aquatic--or at least loves a lot of moisture..which seems to be contrary to its succulent like nature..the leaves are up to about 2" in diameter with the stem slightly off center to the middle of the leaf...and some stems are slightly reddish...it seems to grow by underground rhizomes that eventually become stems...any ideas? thanks in advance if you can supply any information.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. 81044

81044 Active Member

Nope, sorry, this plant has almost round green leaves ..about the size of toonies...on a reddish petiole that is about 3" long..on a 'rhizome?' that seems to be underground and emerge to above ground..covered with old scales that protected the new leaves before they emerged. If I can get it to flower..I guess I'll have a definitive answer then :)