Identification: Can Anyone Help Me?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by aly26_2000@hotmail.com, Jan 24, 2007.

1. aly26_2000@hotmail.com

aly26_2000@hotmail.com Member

Can anyone out there tell me the name of this houseplant! I have had it since it was a small plant, but I know nothing about it. It is now growing these woody stems/tubers and I'm not sure what to do with them!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Monstera deliciosa.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

those are air roots, and they can just be placed in the pot and they will grow into the soil. You can also build your monstera a moss pole and it will grow up it since it is a vine.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Aly26, Monstera deliciosa is closely related to the Philodendron genus (but not in it). This is a tropical plant that prefers shade but will grow in relatively bright light. It does not appreciate direct sunlight. It is an epiphyte which means a plant that grows on another plant. The long roots growing from the cane are what the plant uses to attach itself to a tree. Don't cut them off. Thus the advice for a moss pole to grow up is a great idea. You can also use a piece of split lot with a rough texture for even better support. The taller the better. The plant is a rain forest plant and appreciates having its roots damp all the time, just not soaking wet. A good soil mixture is one that is very loose and I often suggest about 50% (or thereabout) of good potting soil mixed with peat, Perlite, and orchid potting media. That mixture will remain loose, hold water well, but not stay soggy. Don't try to grow it in "off-the-shelf" potting mix alone, it's too wet. Keep the mixture damp all the time but don't try to drown the plant. The plant can produce very large leaves. If given a large enough pot (large) the plant can eventually produce a spathe and spadix and the fruit that will develop on the spadix is eatable. Many people from the Caribbean as well as South and Central America eat it. Tastes like pineapple. It will take bout 1 year from the time the spadix forms for the fruit to ripen. And if someone tries to tell you it is "poison" it is not. We have eaten many of them and I currently have several with ripening spadices on plants in my atrium. Many pet sites try to tell you all parts of this plant will kill you, you pets, and your kids. That is an extreme exageration. Here's a link with more info if you'd like: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera deliciosa large pc.html