calendula

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by kmb34me, Jun 27, 2006.

1. kmb34me

kmb34me Member

Hi I had some of these in my veggie garden and needed the space (due to poor planning on my part ) so I took them up and transplanted them , they are about 4 inches high and flowering, now this morning they are pretty wilty, I did this Sunday.
    did I kill them? I hope not

kristen

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Kristen,

Transplanting plants is stressful, especially when they are flowering. To reduce stress it is best to provide a large root ball for the plant so that the least number of roots are damaged. This easier to do when the soil is moist. If you removed the plant without a root ball you likely damaged the tiny feeder roots which take up a great deal of water. If there are not an adequate amount of roots remaining on the plant, you likely did kill your plant. If only a portion of the roots were damaged you could cut back the plant to reduce the leaf surface so that it does not require as much moisture. The plant should rebloom again later in the season. Make sure that you planted the plant at the same level it was at origianlly, with the base of the stem at soil level (not below). Keep the soil adequately moist, especially as the roots reestablish.

Raakel