"Bush" Cedars?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Eric La Fountaine, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I've been told the cedars on the complex property are not the garden/lawn variety but rather "bush" trees. I have never heard this description of trees before - can you define it for me? The arborist didn't elaborate. He also recommended that we top, prune and shape severely the cedars on the property. I thought topping trees was no longer an acceptable practice?? The trees look beautiful but some of the residents want them cut back to the second balcony level - the rest of us believe they will destroy the trees. The arborist commented "they will look like ---- in the beginning but will fill in nicely".

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Probably the case of a cedar not being a true cedar. For example, red cedar is not a cedar but a juniper. And some Arborvitea are called cedars. Some and these bought as bushes, intended to be bushes will become tree like if alowed to. So I think they are saying the "bush" have not been cared for and have become "trees" and must now be put back to "bush" .... my take anyway.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

red cedar here is (Western Red Cedar - Thuja plicata, indeed not a true cedar)
    Topping of trees is not an accepted practice but if you are maintaining a hedge it is a part of the process to reduce or shape the tops regularly. Have a second opinion, get another arborist to come have a look and give you their take.

www.isa-arbor.com has a list of certified individuals that you can search by location.

if you want the trees identified try posting some pics in the ID forum, some good close up and far away shots is best.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yeah, that was probably the point: it was a hedge ("bush") planting.

5. Many thank yous for your replies. These are, in fact, trees and were intended to be trees. Your assistance much appreciated.

6. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Plant identifycation is necessary as "Bush Cedar" is not a plant identifycation ... and nor is "Tree Cedar". So you're going to have to post pictures as suggested. The pictures should be closeups of the follage, bark, and distance pictures of the tree form. Once the plant is identified, I'm sure you'll get plenty of honest assessments of the situation.