Burnaby

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 16, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Esteemed Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, @PurpleCat. 'Shogetsu' looks like a pretty good bet, particularly if the flowers are hanging on long stems. There are some other rare cultivars that have white flowers, but you're not going to get a more accurate ID without some close-ups of the flowers.

2. PurpleCat

PurpleCat New Member

Thank you, Wendy! I know. I was so tempted to knock at the homeowner's door so that I can get a close-up photo, but they might think I'm weird for doing that :)

3. wcutler

That's how 'Choshu-hizakura' got into our book. I knocked on the door and the owner told us about her tree and gave us permission to include it in our book. We talked to another homeowner too about a tree we liked; from her story, it seemed like it was was probably a seedling. Of course, your experience might vary. Not everyone likes answering the door to talk to strangers. It would help if you had the Ornamental Cherries in Vancouver book with you, something to give legitimacy to your intrusion.

4. Janice Lin

Janice Lin Member

Three pink perfection marked in the map were removed, and young Shiro-fugen were planted. Another group of Kanzan are nearby.

Shiro-fugen_SFU_SunnyChen_20210429_10862.jpg Shiro-fugen_SFU_SunnyChen_20210429_95663.jpg Kanzan_SFU_SunnyChen_20210429_39781.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thank goodness for the Cherries Janice, as the buildings are not a pretty sight at all. I know some people like them , but all that concrete!!

6. wcutler

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society