Bumblebees and bright white surfaces

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Janthegardenlady, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Janthegardenlady

Janthegardenlady New Member

I have several bright white, ornate metal bistro-type tables and chairs in the seating area of my garden. I notice, when I'm sitting on one of the benches, that bumblebees will rest and bask on the seats of adjacent empty chairs and remain completely still. This could be dangerous for someone approaching these seats to sit on them, if they don't notice the bees resting there. Is there some harmless but effective scent I can spray on these seats to discourage bumblebees from landing on them? Otherwise, I might have to alert visitors to watch for the bees before they sit down, and choose a different chair if a bumblebee is present on a chair. Do these bees choose these bright white surfaces to bask in the sun? What seems to be attracting them there? Could it be because the enameled metal surfaces are warm?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    that's interesting - maybe they like the solid surface of your patio set
    and because it's white - it's not as searing hot as it would be if a darker color

I wonder if you have a nest near your patio / garden - maybe that's why you have many of the bees.

I would not kill the nest - however, maybe once freezing temps come to your part of WA State - maybe then you can safely remove the nest - do they hibernate in the nest?

I am not an insect expert - just some ideas.

I think (again, amateur here) it's a good thing that you have bumble bees - are they a native species to Pac NW ... does that not indicate in part that you've got a natural ecosystem around you (ie not inundated with industrial farm pesticides etc) ( I use that same armchair expert measure of "bugs on windshield / front bumper of car" as yay! good when driving thru major farm areas like Quincy WA or the big field/orchard farm areas in BC interior.)
    =========================
    I do have input about WASPS -

at the country place i'm familiar with in the BC Interior (up above Wenatchee WA on Hwy 97) - the wasps are a tremendous pest with any outdoor food or beverage (for pets or humans) ... so there's a sign - and a big rule book! - (and a jar of paper straws)
    1. feed the wasps their own plate --- put a piece of deli ham or bbq chicken - just bits of it - on a disposable plate well away from your patio table
    2. don't let pets (dogs) snap at wasps (put the dog in the house)
    3. don't let people swat at wasps (then you are with the dog in the house)
    4. yes, the owners have tried all those fake wasp nests etc - I don't think they work. But maybe they do (it doesn't hurt to try)
    5. owners don't use any sprays out of personal concern for health and safety and environment etc
    6. BEVERAGES - this is the key - so many beverages are in single-serve bottles, cans, juice paks, etc that wasps easily enter in search for sweet wet sustenance - so the owners have a sign on the patio that says - "Careful of wasps - please use a cup & a compost-friendly paper straw" (imagine cute Pinterest style sign) - it works so far after almost 20 yrs - and nobody gets a half-alive wasp in their mouth and a swollen airway (fatal). If there is a party - then that sign is in the big ice tub with all the beverages - for adults and kids alike.

3. Janthegardenlady

Don't bumblebees normally nest underground? What would an underground nest look like? How big around would the opening be to the surface of the ground? I do know that bumblebees never reuse the same nest. An experienced nurseryman told me that. I'm just wondering what keeps attracting them to my bright white open-air furniture. It has a quite ornate filigreed design in the French bistro mode. Lots of small round holes in the metal seats of the bench and chairs. Perhaps I should put a sign on the bench and chair backs warning, "Watch for resting bumblebees". I know to watch out for them, but guests may not.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    well - they either have great taste in nice outdoor french bistro style ... or ? ;)

in any event - yes I can imagine a cute sign about something like having a "bee behind" (or a bee-hind)
    our pals at the country place with the pesty wasps - they also have a funny sign out on the acreage esp at this time of year - to the effect "securely stow all food, toiletries, and garbage - don't get caught with a bear behind."

5. Gordoner

Gordoner New Member

I would enjoy their presence.

Bumble bees almost never sting unless grabbed or squashed with a bare foot.

The awesomeness of their presence far outweighs and risk of getting stung. The sign is a good idea.

As an aside, honey bees are attracted to white surfaces as well and will often relieve themselves on white buildings and cars.

6. Janthegardenlady

Bumblebees sting if grabbed or stepped on, it's also safe to assume they would sting if sat upon. My concern is that myself or someone else who goes to sit on some of this furniture might not notice the resting bumblebee and sit on it. That would make for a very bad day! I am wondering why they are so attracted to landing on and resting on these bright white enameled surfaces. Thus far, nobody here has addressed any reasons for this.

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, there doesn't seem to be a lot written about this. All I found was that bumble bees like contrasting colours. Maybe your white furniture contrasts nicely with the background.
    I see suggestions of bitter almond oil and catnip essential oil. There are a few other suggestions at How to Deter Bees.

8. Janthegardenlady

Thanks for the link. Very useful information. I like the vinegar idea, and will try it. By the way, it says bees don't like the smell of catnip. Apparently, that doesn't apply to its close cousin, Catmint (Nepeta). I see bumblebees foraging on its blossoms all day long.

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I guess they didn't read the article!