Identification: brought home from school

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SMC, Jun 9, 2005.

1. SMC

SMC

My 5 yr old brought a small pot, with a small bud/leaf, home from school two weeks ago. Within 4 days there were two large leaves each side of a thin stalk. I transferred it to a larger pot and now whilst sitting on the window sill the stalk is almost reaching the top of the window. There are more leaves appearing at intervals all the way up. I've put a stick into the soil to support it. Apparently my daughters teachers said it will turn into a beanstalk, she's not far wrong. I know nothing about plants and my daughter is so into this one I would love to keep it going for her. Can anyone identify it and advise me on how to look after it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello SMC, If we could see a picture it would be easy to confirm if the plant is a bean. I would guess that it is. Schools use them for projects because they grow fast and you can watch the germination. You can ask the teacher what kind of plant it is. Here is a link to some photos of bean plants:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/vegetabl/bean3.htm

You can click next for a few more views. I don't know where you are located but if it is warm, you should be able to put the plant outside. Assuming it is a bean, give it lots of sun and keep well watered. Eventually it should produce some type of beans. Check with the teacher to see if they are edible beans and what type to expect. If you get a small harvest and a taste of home grown veggies, you may want to plant more next year.