Boxwood shrub sick all of a sudden

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sjs, Aug 12, 2021.

1. sjs

sjs Member

I have this small shrub which was so healthy in the spring as well as all the years I have had it. Then all of a sudden about a month ago we found the leaves turned brown as though it died, It happened quite rapidly. But there are still some leaves poking through that seem unaffected. It looks really weird like the leaves have been eaten from the inside, and whoever did it left all the edges of the leaves intact. Almost like eating the inside of a slice of bread and leaving behind the crust. :)

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? Could it be an insect or maybe a disease?

Attached Files:

2. sjs

sjs Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for reporting back on this.
    You'd think it wouldn't have been in their interest to do in the whole plant.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have three boxwood , each in a large container - purchased at same time approx 10 yr ago. I have the name tag but it is not near me at this time - it’s a good round small size boxwood

2 are nice vibrant green - happy and healthy even with heat, smoke, minimal water this past summer 2021

1 is dry fading green

The one fading away had a white powder on it sometime last year (it’s all a blur :)

It was like a dusting of very dry snow which you’d know if you live in a really low humid winter climate

In any event - I suspect my dying plant is a similar situation to OP boxwood

EDIT - the 3 I have each in large container are Green Velvet buxus
    Boxwoods Make Gardens Better

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021