Boxwood replacement

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by newmanra, Aug 9, 2006.

1. newmanra

newmanra Member

I have six boxwoods right by my front porch that need to be moved because they smell like cats. It is a shame because I really like the way they look. Can someone suggest something that looks very similar but does not smell bad. I live in Connecticut.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've always thought box was one of the nicest summer garden scents (apart from conifers, of course) - are you sure they're not being peed on by one or more cats marking their territories? (in which case, the problem won't go away with different plants)

3. newmanra

newmanra Member

I am 100% sure. I even spoke to the nursery I bought them from and they told me it is common.

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Ilex cornata var. convexa

Lonicer pileata to a lesser extent

5. dymndgyrl

dymndgyrl Member

Ceanothus - California Lilac. I had some four foot high boxwoods that had to be removed when we put an addition on. I tried to save them to replant, but they didn't make it so I planted these evergreen ceanothus instead. Within two years they were as large as the boxwoods were and they take well to pruning in a formal shape.

The leaves are a similar shape and they get lovely blue flowers, however, these flowers attract masses of bees, which you might not want right by your front porch!

6. newmanra

newmanra Member

The Lonicer pileata seems right on thanks.
    What did you mean by " to a lesser extent"?

Thanks!

7. digital flower

digital flower Member

LOL. I don't think those are going to make it in Connecticut.

We use Inkberry Ilex glabra and some of the smaller Blue Hollies to replace Boxwoods.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Japanese holly is the most similar.

9. digital flower

digital flower Member

This would be a good choice. If you are not over run with deer as most of CT is. I have planted a lot of these and found out that they will quite often struggle and do not well for years (slow and shabby death). Now if they struggle I remove them right away and try something else. If they are happy, they are a wonderful, easy plant.

Let me know if you need a professional. My brother is a landscape designer with a big firm in Westport.