Boston Ivy research

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Unregistered, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Hi,

I have a lot of questions about growing Boston Ivy. I've checked out some resources on the internet and there seem to be two vines with this name, but I'm interested specifically in Parthenocissus tricuspidata, the climbing vine that attaches to supports using little adhesive pads. It produces little dark berries and the leaves have three points, are toothed, and fairly large. I hope this is enough information for someone to understand which plant I'm talking about.

Anyway, my questions. First, I'm very new to gardening, so I know almost nothing about growing this plant. What I would like to do is grow it in a window box indoors over the winter months. I was wondering, first of all, how quickly it might grow in this situation over a month in the winter? What conditions might the plant need to grow and produce new adhesive pads during this time? How do I "train" it, for instance, to grow up a vertical structure that I could place in the window box, such as a thick plastic sheet?

Also, there is a large and very mature Boston Ivy plant near where I live that I was hoping to take a cutting of. I was told to cut just below areas of branching at "nodes", as such cuttings would have lots of nutrients for putting out roots and such. But after you've got your cutting, how exactly do you go about putting it in soil?! Do you just poke it in there and hope it takes? (I'm guessing no...)

If I wanted to promote growth, furthermore, what kind of soil, fertilizer and other materials would be best? Are there any growth hormones that might also be helpful? Ideally, I'd like to have the vine covering an area of roughly 1 metre squared after a month of growth. Is this feasible?

Any help in these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Budding Botanical Researcher running out of Time.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Parthenocissus tricuspidata

Anyway, my questions. First, I'm very new to gardening, so I know almost nothing about growing this plant. What I would like to do is grow it in a window box indoors over the winter months. I was wondering, first of all, how quickly it might grow in this situation over a month in the winter?

- not much since it is wishing to be dormant.

What conditions might the plant need to grow and produce new adhesive pads during this time?

- it will attach itself quite willingly when it is growing.

How do I "train" it, for instance, to grow up a vertical structure that I could place in the window box, such as a thick plastic sheet?

- a fine netting of degradable material is usually best, it will break down and wont girdle your plants stems in future.

Also, there is a large and very mature Boston Ivy plant near where I live that I was hoping to take a cutting of. I was told to cut just below areas of branching at "nodes", as such cuttings would have lots of nutrients for putting out roots and such. But after you've got your cutting, how exactly do you go about putting it in soil?! Do you just poke it in there and hope it takes? (I'm guessing no...)

- yup, you can add some rooting compound at the wound end prior to sticking in the ground if you wish. Try to take cuttings in mid spring, I find it is nice and vigorous at that time of year.

If I wanted to promote growth, furthermore, what kind of soil, fertilizer and other materials would be best? Are there any growth hormones that might also be helpful?

- and decent soil will do, fertilize with a basic balanced food for best results. Manures can help also as a soil amendment.

Ideally, I'd like to have the vine covering an area of roughly 1 metre squared after a month of growth. Is this feasible?

- depends what size the plant is when the month begins, if it is a cutting, no, not realistic or feasible. When it is mature, it can be quite vigorous and cover a large area quickly.

3. rkevwill

rkevwill Member

Boston Ivy problems?

Our ivy is over 20 years old. The root system is massive, at least by appearance. My question is, since we noticed some slight leakage in our basement, right below where the roots appear on the outside of the house, is it possible the root system is wicking water to the basement? Water is not leaking through the walls, rather under the walls, at the base. Even though we trim the ivy, it is up on the side of our house 2 1/2 stories tall. (it has damaged some of the brick, especially on the chimney)

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    yes it's possible, it is also probable that the roots are in the foundation and causeing leaks rather than sepage and if you pull it off the chimney you may amazed at the damage (ie. no chimney).

regards Doug