Bonsai shimpaku feeding

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margaret, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Have owned a 25 year old shimpaku for about 18 months now and it has survived my novice care well. How often should I use fertiliser, what type of fertiliser and at what strength? So far I have only watered it.
    Thanks for any help.
    Margaret

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

You may find this video helpful in choosing a fertilizer with the right elements. The video also covers other maintenance and care. Dallas Bonsai has a website where you may be able to find a good fertilizer, unlike most evergreens they do not need acid, but do need some iron to keep from yellowing. Feeding is usually done throughout the growing season, but I do not feel comfortable recommending a schedule. I feel the soil composition and environment plays a role in frequency. I prefer using organic fertilizer components with the less is more mentality, it’s safer to be on the diluted side, than to be on the strong side. You can always follow up with the grower to find out what products and schedule was used in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwuXxBGp5N0

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the info. The utube was particularly informative. I have been using a seaweed derived liquid which appears to be working quite well. The plant is outside for most of the winter as the winters here are not too harsh although after speaking with the grower I put up a simple wind break to protect it from our Pacific gales and I also "bury" the bowl in packing peanuts when temperatures fall much below freezing.
    Thanks again.
    Margaret