Bonsai beginner

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Good morning D,
    The day is starting with a nice sun, it really feels spring now with all the birds singing.

You may probably start your forest before me as i checked the roots on all my recently adquired cuttings when repotting and none was spreading them horizontaly as i like so i am a bit confused on what to do next and when to prepare good flared roots on each of them before planting them in groups (it may take 2 seasons..)
    They need to recover so i am not feeling to risk any trick to improve their nebari this season.

You will be my guide and i will relay on your experience unless i get other palmatums seedlings before spring.

As you say it's really an exciting project and i'm looking forward to see what we come with in the next coming years.

2. Shin-Deshojo

Here are the two seedlings i did wire this spring that are not the standards that @AlainK suggested:

20210420_092412.jpg
    20210420_092446.jpg
    20210420_092418.jpg
    20210420_092433.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  4. Acerholic

No pressure then, lol.
    Mine will be ready next Spring, so I will update the thread on their progress. Hopefully not too many people will laugh at my attempt!!

5. Shin-Deshojo

LOL...

I am sure you will do very well.
    I don't see why would someone laugh at any bonsai we do, everyone started someday...
    And your project is not what beginners usually start with...so props to you!

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Very supportive and usual I. Thankyou.

D

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

As I said, growing bonsai from seed can take a long time.

Air-layering is a shortcut. You can have a starter with more girth, and the "nebari" will be better if done properlmy (see the video of the happy Japanese bonsai enthusiast mentioned before).

Shin-Deshojo likes this.