Blueberry Pollination......Fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by KENNETH5636, Jul 23, 2007.

1. KENNETH5636

KENNETH5636 Active Member

I have 3 Blueberry bushes called "Top Hat".

They are thriving very well, thanks to the expert advice I have recieved from this Forum as regards, soil, feeding, watering, siting, etc, etc.

They all flowered very well, but have not produced any berries!

A friend who has two bushes, has had loads of berries this year and informs me it is because I have 3 bushes of the same variety, and need another bush of a different variety,............is this a fact?

I would appreciate any help on this I can get!

Best regards to one and all.

Ken.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Your friend is probably right-- most, but not all blueberries need another variety for successful pollination. I am not familiar with that variety, so I can't say for sure, but given the fact that they flowered but did not set fruit, it is very likely they need another variety for pollination. Different varieties bloom at different times, so be sure to get a variety that will bloom at the same time.

Skeet

3. KENNETH5636

Hi Skeeterbug!

Thanks for the confirmation, I've had a squiffy (Look) at the varieties that flower at the same time as my "Top Hat" ones, and "Bluecrop" seems to fit the bill nicely!

So "Way to Go" Skeeterbug, Thanks for your reply, and much appreciated.

Next year there will be "Blueberries over, the white cliffs of Dover"!

Best regards,

Ken.

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i agree with skeeter most of what i could find says that most blueberrys are not self-fertile and need a pollinator. there are a few of the southern types sharps blue for instance that is self fertile and produced nicely for me for several years. but even with only two plants its really difficult to keep the soil acidic enough in my part of florida so they started looking real bad and had to go.

5. KENNETH5636

Hello Mikey!

Thanks for the confirmation of Skeeters thoughts!

I don't have any trouble back here in London, as the soil is mostly clay, which tends to be acidic anyway.

But, to be sure, I have the Blueberries planted in large containers with an ericacious soil in them, and they have been growing nicely as I have said before, with loads of flowers, but no berries!

My next move is to obtain a variety called "Bluecrop", which flowers at the same time as my "Top Hat" variety.

Best regards.

Ken.

PS Sorry you had to lose your Blueberry plants.

6. JoMc

JoMc Member

Yes, you indeed need some different varieties of blueberry for successful pollination. I have some of the Blue Crop which produce huge berries for me. In total I have about five different varieties of berries, which is neat because they all taste different.

Jo

7. KENNETH5636

Hi JoMc!

Thanks for your confirmation of my friend & other helpful persons advice on this web site.

I have now put into action the purchase of another variety to ensure pollination of the ones I have already.

Best regards,
    Ken.

8. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Depending on what you want out of your blueberries and the space you have for growing them, there are a lot of differences to choose from. I have about 20 varieties (17 that I know the names of). I chose my varieties to give me fresh berries from the end of April to the middle of August. There are varieties that will ripen over extended periods (a few berries in a cluster ripe at any one time) and varieties that ripen the entire cluster at the same time (easier picking). Size is another big variable along with flavor-- there is a variety I have been picking at a U-pick farm that I do not know the name of, but it has almost zero tartness--some consider it tasteless, but others love it. There is a wide difference in chill hours required for various varieties especially between the southern and northern highbush varieties. Early varieties are subject to frost damage if caught by a late frost.

Skeet

9. KENNETH5636

Thanks Skeet,

Obviously there is a heck of a lot to learn about "Blueberries", so thanks for all the input I needed, am now looking forward to the arrival of the variety "Bluecrop" which I have ordered.

Best regards,

Ken.