blueberry or raspberry: best success in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by sluggo, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sluggo

sluggo Active Member 10 Years

I believe this year will be my last for apples in Vancouver. While I've done well to produce fruit and avoid aphids and scab, I've had significant problems with European apple sawfly and coddling moth. I bagged a couple hundred of fruit with nylon stockings (via the Seattle Fruit Tree Society) this year, but the insects have chewed through the nylon. I'm not sure yet what my yield will be this fall...

I'm thinking about replacing my espelier area with either blueberries or raspberries. Is either one of these berries more successful in Vancouver than the other? Any other suggestions for a good productive fruit/berry crop in Vancouver?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Both blueberries and raspberries do very well in the Vancouver area. Keep in mind that blueberries need acid soil; so something would have to be done to acidify the soil where the apple trees were growing. Raspberries will probably do well without soil amendments. Both like a mulch of wood chips or something similar.

3. wf1992

wf1992 Member

I agree both do well. I vote raspberry for durability and self-propagation. My raspberry patch was established some 30 years ago and is VERY forgiving with no serious problems. The blueberries I planted last year are doing wonderfully - I'll be heartbroken if it turns out my success is just due to this being a phenomenal year for blueberries! Also low maintenance thus far, although I expect I may need nets or spray to protect them in the future...