Blue Mophead Hydrangea (pic)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lily, Sep 5, 2009.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I haven't pruned my hydrangea since last fall since I cut it right back to rejuvenate a bit. Just this past May or June it developed only 3 or 4 very huge blooms, (which I expected). Those few blooms are beginning to fade now.

Well, just today, I noticed about a couple of dozen new blooms at the tops of the stems developing. Is this normal for September? I don't know what kind of hydrangea it is but it's blue. Thanks everyone for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A few blooms coming from the remains of last year's stems followed by a larger set on subsequent growths made this season. Most of the bloom coming from last year was lost to the pruning.

3. lily

Ron, okay I understand now. Thanks. So, if I leave it alone this year, next year in May or June I should have more blooms right? I guess it will be getting back to normal. Should I prune it once a year? If so, when? I still have the faded blooms on the bush because I don't know how to deadhead them or even if I should. It certainly is very healthy looking now. Thanks again Ron.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

some hydrangea bloom on new growth and others on old growth...so, pruning can lessen blooms if you have the type that blooms on old growth. most only bloom in spring.

my nikko blue (which may be what you have), which normally blooms only in spring has half a dozen flower heads on it right now - just starting to open up. that is NOT the usual. the weather has been cooler than usual and very cool in the evenings, so, i'm assuming that this september bloom is strictly due to the weather conditions.

i never prune it at all - it usually dies back a bit over winter, so, no need, really. as for deadheading, i leave the dried flowerheads on over winter - they add interest especially when there is snow...

come spring and after new growth has started, i just gently tug at them to break them off and/or cut them off if they don't break off easily.

5. lily

Thank you Joclyn, I'm not going to prune mine either (I don't want to lose any blooms for next year) and the few faded blooms that are on there now; I'll leave them for the winter too and remove them in the spring. You think my hydrangea is a Nikko Blue? It was on the property when I moved here so I have no idea what kind of hydrangea it is other than a mophead. I really appreciate your help.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what color are the flowers? are they different colors on different parts of the plant and/or has the color changed over the years? if yes to either, then it's most probably nikko blue - that particular variety is one where the flower color can be manipulated by soil acidity (either naturally as the roots grow and reach different compositions of soil or by purposely putting down fertilizer to amend the ph level of the soil).

mine has changed over the years (as it's become established and the roots have grown out) and now produces flowers in blue, pink, purple, lavendar and everything in between - even paled enough to be almost white. looks fabulous when it's in bloom!

7. lily

joclyn ~ my hydrangea has blue flowers. They haven't changed color but I've only seen them bloom twice now and they are always a vibrant blue. I've only lived here for about 2 years but this shrub has been here for several years. I can tell you though, the blooms are humongous. Hmmm, so maybe it's not a Nikko blue? Thanks again for your note.

8. gardentastic22

gardentastic22 Member

Its a hydrangea macrophylla, the colour will change with the change of PH in the soil.