Blossoming time variability

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blog' started by Bob Loveless, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bob Loveless

Bob Loveless Active Member

What is really surprising me this year now that I am a scout and really in touch with what is happening, is just how varied the bloom times are for the same tree type in different parts of the city.

There are Whitcombs in the far western parts of the city that have been in full bloom for a few weeks and ones in Marpole that are just coming into full bloom.

Even in Marpole I see Akebonos in different stages. There are ones near me in the southern part of Marpole that are ready to burst open and ones on a street near the northern part that have barely started to bud.

I found this rather fascinating. Temperature differences, cloud cover differences, ground moisture differences (precipitation, water table) could be factors contributing to these different bloom times. I know from my experience working for the weather office there is a wide range of temperatures and precipitation amounts in the Greater Vancouver area. I know I even measure differences here in Marpole from what the Airport gets.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Too much too soon

It's still January and the Whitcombs and Accolades are just about out, all over the city. And no-one is looking at them. I'm doing my usual staring and photographing, and only one person has stopped to comment on them (and we've become friends).

In previous years, everyone would stop and mention how great it is to see the blossoms. I think we're not ready for them. We haven't had winter yet. After winter, then we can entertain spring. This is, after all, two months before these cultivars finally bloomed last year (a particularly late year).

Or else, people are afraid to put their hearts into something they think will be taken away when the cold weather does come.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Too much too soon

I had to laugh - my comments about no-one looking at the cherries. Plenty of people are looking at the viburnums and calling them cherries. I've posted those now as cherry look-alikes in the Cultivars ID forum.