Blood Maples after hard freeze

Discussion in 'Maples' started by RL Manning, May 19, 2020.

1. RL Manning

RL Manning New Member

Hello everyone. I’m a new poster but I love reading the forums here. I’m hoping to get some advice on 2 red blood maples that went through a hard freeze here in Ohio about 10 days ago.

One is about 6 feet tall, the other about 8. Both have filled out beautifully over the past few years. The temperature reached around 25/26F overnight and both trees have since had more or less all the leaves die. About half the leaves have fallen now and the rest likely will fall this week due to some heavy rains.

I feel awful for not having covered them. I covered other plants and brought potted plants inside, but it never once dawned on me to try to help these 2 trees.

Have I lost them? They were already full and deep red when the freeze hit. Is there any chance they will be able to start over, or should I start thinking about removing them? Is there some way I can tell if they’ll be okay, and possibly do something to help them recover?

Thank you so much. I hope everyone is well.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @RL Manning, sorry to hear about your maples. We all suffer from a late frost, so you are not alone. The one thing with trees is they have a natural survival instinct.
    IMO do nothing at this time other than wait and watch until at least the end of June. The leaves will almost certainly drop, but if your trees were healthy and have a good root structure, there is every chance you will get a second flush. The display will not be as strong as a first leafing out, but you will at least be then relieved that your trees have had no long lasting adverse effect. So IMO all is not lost. Hope this is of help.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    emery likes this.
  3. RL Manning

RL Manning New Member

Thank you! That’s a relief. I thought for sure they had died.
    I’ll just let them do their thing and watch for the next month, fingers crossed.